Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's okay.

Today it is not fertility stuff making me stressed, but work.  I have to remember that I cannot be the perfect teacher all the time.  My priorities are being kind, fair, calm, and explaining things well, and I cannot also be the perfect grader, communicator or "reminder" at the same time.  I do my very best to do what is right 99% of the time.  It is true that I make mistakes, and it is true that sometimes I slack.  This is not an excuse, but it does happen and I have to allow myself these errors at times.

When errors do occur and parents or students get concerned about grades, etc., I want to remind myself of all the good I really do try to do.  And not worry that this error is a sign that I am not good at what I do the other 99% of the time.  I can explain my side, be fair and considerate, and move forward.  I am not guilty of everything that is wrong in every situation.  Sometimes I may be partially to blame, but this doesn't mean I am horrible.  It only means I have to remember to try to do better next time.  It's a learning experience, a chance to improve at something.

I want to forgive myself for not being perfect at my job.  I have forgiven myself for not being the perfect wife or friend--somehow that seems easier to accept.  I know that my students deserve a great deal and I try to provide that for them.  But I am human and most errors are not worth replaying in my head over and over.  I can choose to do something else with that energy.  The lesson has been learned.  Next time, I will do my best to communicate better.

Breathe, smile, remember--you are very good at what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment